Universitas Andalas (UNAND) was established on September 13, 1956 in Bukittinggi – West Sumatra Province. The name of Andalas is due to its location in Andalas Island, the former name of Sumatra Island. UNAND is the first university in the island. UNAND is chaired by Rector assisted by four vice rectors: academic, finance, student, and collaboration affairs.
Today, the main campus locates in the high land named Limau Manih, approximately 12 km from Padang City, the capital of West Sumatra Province. UNAND has now 16 faculties that serve 4 diploma programs, 45 bachelor programs, 41 master programs, 10 doctoral programs, and 5 professional programs.
Faculty of Economics (Fekon) was established on September 7, 1957 and originally named School of Economics managed by Perguruan Tinggi Pancasila Yayasan Dewan (Pancasila Dewan Banteng Foundation College). Due to the political instability in the late 50s, which terminated the school’s operation, the foundation handed over the school to the Presidium of UNAND in 1959 to be part of the new university. On January 1, 1961 with Ministerial Decree No. PPK. 4/1961, Fekon officially became the 6th faculty of UNAND. However, Fekon maintains September 7 as its official dies natalis.
Fekon is chaired by the dean and assisted by three vice deans: academic affairs, financial and human resource affairs, and student affairs. Fekon has three departments: Department of Economics, Department of Accounting, and Department of Management. Each department is led by a Department Chair assisted by a Department Secretary. The department supervises undergraduate study programs (bachelor degrees) and post-graduate study programs (master degree and doctoral degree).
The Department of Economics was established at the same time as Fekon on September 7, 1957 as the first department in the Faculty of Economics. The department serves three study programs: undergraduate program in economics (UPE), master program in development planning, and PhD program in economics.